I am an Associate Professor at the Department of Psychology, University at Albany. My research interests focus on self-regulatory processes in children and adolescents, the role of early mother-child interaction in the development of self-regulation, and the cognitive, behavioral and socio-emotional factors involved in self-control processes. As part of a William T. Grant Foundation Scholars Award I examined life goals, identity, and family processes in ethnic minority adolescents. Currently, in collaboration with the Office for Children and Family Services of New York State and the Human Services Research Center at the University at Albany, we are examining the long-term impact of Healthy Families New York, an intervention for the prevention of child abuse and neglect, in promoting parenting competencies and children's social and academic adjustment in families at risk.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Applied Social Psychology
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Social/Personality Development Laboratory
- Ayduk, O., Mendoza-Denton, R., Mischel, W., Downey, G., Peake, P., & Rodriguez, M. L. (2000). Regulating the interpersonal self: Strategic self-regulation in coping with rejection sensitivity. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 79, 776-792.
- Ayduk, O., Rodriguez, M. L., Mischel, W., Shoda, Y., & Wright, J. (2007). Verbal intelligence and self-regulatory competencies: Joint predictors of boy’s aggression. Journal of Research in Personality, 42, 374-388.
- Dumont, K., Mitchell-Herzfeld, S., Greene, R., Lee, E., Lowenfels, A., Rodriguez, M., & Dorabawila, V. (2008). Healthy Families New York (HFNY) randomized trial: Effects on early child abuse and neglect. Child Abuse and Neglect, 32, 295-315.
- Logue, A. W., Pena-Correal, T. E., Rodriguez, M. L., & Kabela, E. (1986). Self-control in adult humans: Variation in positive reinforcer amount and delay. Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior, 46, 159-173.
- Logue, A. W., Rodriguez, M. L., Pena-Correal, T. E., & Mauro, B. (1984). Choice in a self-control paradigm: Quantification of experience-based differences. Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior, 41, 53-67.
- McCluskey, C. P., Krohn, M. D., Lizotte, A. J., & Rodriguez, M. L. (2002). Early substance use and school achievement: An examination of Latino, White, and African American youth. Journal of Drug Issues, 32, 921-943.
- Mischel, W., Shoda, Y., & Rodriguez, M. L. (1989). Delay of gratification in children. Science, 244, 933-938.
- Rodriguez, M. L., Ayduk, O., Aber, J. L., Mischel, W., Sethi, A., Shoda, Y., & Ayduk, O. (2005). A contextual approach to the development of self-regulatory competencies: The role of maternal unresponsivity and toddlers’ negative affect in stressful situations. Social Development, 14, 136-157.
- Rodriguez, M. L., & Logue, A. L. (1988). Adjusting delay to reinforcement: Comparing choice in pigeons and humans. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Animal Behavior Processes, 14, 105-117.
- Rodriguez, M. L., & Logue, A. W. (1986). Independence of the amount and delay ratios in the generalized matching law. Animal Learning and Behavior, 14(1), 29-37.
- Rodriguez, M. L., Mischel, W., & Shoda, Y. (1989). Cognitive person variables in the delay of gratification of older children at risk. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 57, 358-367.
- Sethi, M. L., Aber, J. L., Shoda, Y., Rodriguez, M. L., & Mischel, W. (2000). The role of strategic attention deployment in development of self-regulation: Predicting prescholer's delay of gratification from mother-toddler interactions. Developmental Psychology, 36, 767-777.
- Wulfert, E., Block, J. A., Santa Ana, E., Rodriguez, M. L., & Colsman, M. (2002). Delay of gratification: Impulsive choices and problem behaviors in early and late adolescence. Journal of Personality, 70, 533-552.
- Logue, A. W., Rodriguez, M. L., Pena-Correal, T. E., & Mauro, B. (1987). Quantification of individual differences in self-control. In M. L. Commons, J. E. Mazur, J. A. Nevin, & H. Rachlin (Eds.), The effect of delay and of intervening events on reinforcement value. Quantitative analyses of behavior (Vol. 5). Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Mischel, W., & Rodriguez, M. L. (1993). Psychological distance in self-imposed delay of gratification. In R. R. Cocking and K. A. Renninger (Eds.), The development and meaning of psychological distance. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Earlbaum Associates.
- Advanced Social Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Seminar in Social Neuroscience
- Social Psychology
Monica L. Rodriguez
Department of Psychology
University at Albany
1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12222
- Work: (518) 442-4794
- Mobile: (518) 810-2532
- Fax: (518) 442-4867